Kristi SnowCat forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Kristi SnowCat forum » Classifieds » For Sale » FOR SALE (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: FOR SALE
paul
Member # 24

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paul         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I HAVE A KT-3 KRISTI WITH A PORSCHE ENGINE FOR SALE. MIGHT PUT IT ON EBAY UNLESS I GET A FAIR PRICE FOR IT. ACCEPTING OFFERS!! IF YOU NEED PICS LET ME KNOW WHAT YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IS AND I`LL SEND YOU SOME. ITS LOCATED IN MEDFORD, OREGON THANKS PAUL
Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paul
Member # 24

the serial number is 83!
Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caroth
Administrator
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caroth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pictures!

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Posts: 109 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caroth
Administrator
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caroth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More pictures!

-
 -
 -
 -
 -

Posts: 109 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caroth
Administrator
Member # 1

Thanks for the pictures Paul!

A few questions. Do it run? If not, when was the last time it did run?

Is the back door missing or was it removed for the pictures?

B Skurka
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B Skurka         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul, I attached a link to this thread from the ForumForum website because we have several people over there looking for small snowcats and one or two people looking specifically for a Kristi.

Do you have the rear door? Also, is the driver's door original?

Can you tell us any history about this unit? How long have you had it, etc?

Posts: 13 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paul
Member # 24

THE MAN I BOUGHT IT FROM SAID IT RAN ABOUT THREE YEARS AGO AND THAT THE MOTOR HAD BEEN REBUILT. I REALLY CAN`T PROVE ANY OF THAT THOUGH OTHER THAN WHAT HE SAID. THE BACK DOOR IS MISSING UNLESS ITS A PIECE BLACK VINYL WHICH I FLIPPED UP ON THE ROOF WHEN I TOOK THE PICTURE OF THE INSIDE. AS FAR AS I KNOW THE DRIVERS DOOR IS ORIGINAL. I BOUGHT IT ABOUT TWO YEARS AGO WITH INTENTIONS OF RESTORING IT FOR I ALSO RESTORE OLD SNOWMOBILES. HOWEVER I HAVE WAY TO MANY SNOWMOBILES TO RESTORE INCLUDING A 1947 TUCKER SNO CAT WHICH I PROBABLY WON`T LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO GET THEM ALL DONE. THE GUY I BOUGHT IT FROM USE TO RUN ONE (NOT THIS ONE) HERE TO REPAIR TV ANTENNAS IN THE MOUNTIANS AND PHONE LINES ETC....HE TOLD ME THAT THE KRISTI WAS THE BEST SNO CAT HE HAD EVER RUN BECAUSE OF TRACKS MOVEMENT TO KEEP YOU LEVEL. HE OPERATED ONE FOR OVER 20 YEARS. HOPE ANY OF THIS INFO HELPS. PAUL
B Skurka
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B Skurka         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul, I'm curious about your engine. Are you sure it is a Porsche engine? The fan shroud shape and type are identical to the VW units I've worked on, the carburation, oil fill tube and distributor placement are also identical to the VW engines. Do you have any markings on the engine to identify it as a Porsche engine?

Here is a known VW engine a Kristi KT3. The fan shrouds are identical on these two, and match yours. Ditto the other components.

-

Below is another VW engine, this is a 1970/71 VW "industrial" engine. Obviously this engine is not in a Kristi, but it shows a good image of the engine. Again, you will see that the fan shroud is identical to your engine as well as to the VW engine shown above. The same is true for the distributor cap, oil filler, etc.

I think you may have been lied to by the former owner?

-

[ May 09, 2006, 06:10 AM: Message edited by: B Skurka ]

Posts: 13 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paul
Member # 24

no i`m not sure it is a porsche engine other than what he told me. he seemed quite knowledgable but he could be wrong. how can you tell a porsche engine from a vw?
B Skurka
Member # 17

Paul, I am not an expert on Porsche engines, but I know they have a different carburation system than VW had so that would be one clue. Another very obvious clue is the fan shroud, and your fan shroud is an exact match to the 2 VW shrouds I have illustrated. There are more subtle differences like the generator(alternator) tower mount, as well as slight differences in the oil, distributor, etc. There is no oil tank or cooler on your engine that I see, and pretty sure that all the Porsche engines had oil tank?

[ May 09, 2006, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: B Skurka ]

caroth
Administrator
Member # 1

Paul,

The shroud could have been replaced on your engine. Here is a picture of a Porsche shroud from the back side. It has a plate on the top with a Porsche stamp.

-

Unfortunately, this is the best picture I have at the moment. I don't have my other pictures handy, but will get them and post.

Chris

caroth
Administrator
Member # 1

As snowcat operations pointed out at the forumforums site above, the hydraulics are missing from this machine. Do you have the hydraulic tank and valves somewhere else?
B Skurka
Member # 17

Paul after consulting a couple more people and looking up some stuff, I am sorry to say that you were very probably duped by the guy who sold you that Kristi. I am now convinced that you have a VW engine instead of a Porsche engine.

Check out this link: http://www.356a.com/engine_identification.htm

You will see all sorts of information, and even a special page on the industrial engines.

The site starts right out by saying that they were based on the 356 Engine. Also, when you look at the valve covers, they are trapizoidal, rather than oval. The Rocker arms don't all ride on one shaft as in a VW motor, the valves are at 45 degrees to the head, so the outside valves, which are the exhaust, each have their own short section of rocker shaft, perpendicular to the 2 center ones that are just the same as a VW. The industrials don't have smaller ports; they have the larger, rectangular ports that were on the 356 car motors. They also had magneto's instead of point & coil. The Mag assembly is much taller than a regular distributor as it also houses the magneto assembly. The pictures are good enough on the above mentioned web site to see a lot of the features I previously mentioned.

paul
Member # 24

This might answer all questions towards this kristi.If It did have a porsche engine in it and it did run, whats its worth???? I read the debate over this on the forum and for two hundred bucks i`ll scrap out what i can and junk the rest. thanks paul
B Skurka
Member # 17

Paul, recently 2 Kristi KT3 were for sale on Ebay. One was a parts unit, it was not running, but it had the rear door, hydraulic tank, etc. It sold for about $1300.

The other was a running unit in moderate condition for an unrestored snowcat. Again I can't recall the exact price, but it sold for less than $3300. A guy named Mike, who posts under the name Snowcat Operations over on the Forums website bought it, he did a pretty quick restoration that included pulling all new wires, refinishing the exterior fiberglass and fixing things, but NOT stripping it down to the frame and doing a rebuild. He did a lot, but there was not a lot wrong to begin with so it was a modest project but not a massive one. I have no idea what he put into it in terms of parts.

I believe he ended up selling it to his neighbor because he got a good deal on a very rare Thiokol Swamp Cat.

[ May 09, 2006, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: B Skurka ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Upload Your Picture

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | KristiSnowCat.com

© 2009 Chris Roth, All Rights Reserved,Terms of Use
Contact me, Chris Roth at: caroth@rothfam.com