Kristi SnowCat forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Kristi SnowCat forum » General » General Discussion of Kristi snow cats » KT-3 SEATS

Author Topic: KT-3 SEATS
sparky28
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparky28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the rear seats I see in photos in this forum are mounted on the sides of the cats and run from front to back. On the KT-3 I had, the rear seat ran from side to side. Was this normal or a special order by the Colo. State Patrol? I had the vinyl seats recovered with heavy dark gray canvas after a couple of years at the Colo. State Reformatory where I had the CSP radio shop.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caroth
Administrator
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caroth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sparky,

The KT-3 could be ordered in several configurations.

Seating for 4 consisted of seating front and rear facing.
 -

Seating for 6 consisted of the rear seats running from front to back.
 -

We own an open cab KT-3 with seating for 6 but all passengers are front or rear facing.
 -

Here are the CSP ordered Kristis in the registry:

http://www.kristisnowcat.com/registry/KT3/00072/index.asp
http://www.kristisnowcat.com/registry/KT3/00105/index.asp
http://www.kristisnowcat.com/registry/KT3/00137/index.asp
http://www.kristisnowcat.com/registry/KT3/00139/index.asp
http://www.kristisnowcat.com/registry/KT3/00146/index.asp
http://www.kristisnowcat.com/registry/KT3/65163/index.asp

Some of these CSP Kristis above appear to currently have seating for 6, but it appears they were changed later. My guess is that the CSP wanted more space for equipment and less space for passengers.

The KT-2 and KT-2A were all configured with seating for 4.

Posts: 109 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparky28
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparky28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Caroth, thanks for the reply.

I looked at all the photos but could not identify any cat that appeared to be mine. My Kristi was all red (no black) and had no side vents in the engine compartment--was this a later modification? Both the front and rear seats in my unit faced forward.

You are right about the cargo needs. On a routine trip to a mountain top, I would carry a large tool box, vacuum tube caddy, two different signal generators, watt-meters, volt-ohm meter, and special repair parts. This is in addition to the emergency supplies always carried--two pair snowshoes, two sleeping bags, several coats and heavy parkas, boots, blankets, shovels, K-rations, water, and other misc. items that I have forgotten about (that was 40 years ago). Also, a large two-way radio was mounted in the storage area. There was room for only two passengers on maintenance trips. Occasionally, I would be called on search/rescue missions where I would squeeze in a third passenger by leaving all the radio maintenance equipment/supplies behind.

Sparky (Joel)

PS---from the condition of some of the Kristis in the photos, I was not disappointed in not seeing my cat.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caroth
Administrator
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caroth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joel,

I have been keeping an eye open for #7 but have not been able to find any CSP owned Kristi with the #7.

I thought I had found it when I took detailed pictures of #00072 this summer, but it had an 8 on the side. Was this where the #7 was labelled on your Kristi?
 -
I still have not been able to figure out which Kristi was yours, #00072 was the first Kristi purchased from the CSP and it has an 8 on it.

A lot of the Kristi's have vents added to try and keep the VW motor cool and keep the CO from entering the passenger compartment.

Some have even setup blowers to move additional air in the engine compartment. In this case, Ralph Pacini installed this blower after they had a CO problem in their KT-3 while coming back from their cabin.
 -

Our KT-3 #00158 has seating for 4, both facing forward if I remember correctly. Sorry no pictures right now.

Yep, some of the Kristi Kats in the registry are basket cases. There are a few undergoing restorations now and others are still in great original condition.

Posts: 109 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparky28
Member # 35

The call sign of my Kristi was Snow Cat 7. It was common to put the unit number on the outside on all CSP vehicles but, I cannot remember if there was one on my cat. There was a low band antenna with a large base mount (similar to a long CB antenna) on the right side.

I am not sure of the year I got the Kristi. I transferred to Buena Vista during the summer of 1963. I had an old two pontoon Tucker that I used for the first winter--or was it two? So I would say the Kristi was built during 1964 or 1965. Wish I would have taken more photos.

caroth
Administrator
Member # 1

That would narrow it down to number 00146 or 00147 in 1964. In 1965 65163 and 65164 were delivered to the CSP. Maybe you had 00147?

00146 is in the registry.
http://www.kristisnowcat.com/registry/kt3/00146/

65163 is also in the registry.
http://www.kristisnowcat.com/registry/KT3/65163/index.asp

Chris

sparky28
Member # 35

Found an old grainy slide and scanned it then cleaned it up a little with Adobe PhotoShop. In the attached photo, you can see my Kristi was CSP Snow Cat 19--below the right front window. The old Tucker was Snow Cat 7. Sorry for the confusion. Also, the engine compartment did have side vents, on the right side only. I count 10 vents in the photo. There was a large CPS logo on the back door and a small one on each side. Each side had amber running lights and a large spotlight was mounted on the center front of the roof.
sparky28
Member # 35

-
caroth
Administrator
Member # 1

Joel,

It would appear that the CSP used their numbering system in some sort of random order. Looking at pictures we know the following;

#00072 = CSP 8
#00105 = CSP 47
#00137 = CSP 54
#00139 = CSP 48

If I had to bet on it, I would go with 00147. When I was at CDOT Communications last year, I asked and they did not have any records that old. CDOT took over the CSP Communications 20 or so years ago.

Chris

sparky28
Member # 35

I believe the snow cats were normally numbered in the order they were put into service. CSP used Tuckers as well as Kristies.

I was not aware that CDOT had taken over communications from CSP, I left CSP enployment in 1966.

00147 sounds about right. Do you have any info on that rig?

caroth
Administrator
Member # 1

Here is the info on #00147:

Serial number - 00147
Model - KT-3
Date of build - 6/23/1964
Engine - 12V VW
Engine Serial Number - 116258
Original Buyer - COLORADO STATE PATROL
Original Location - DENVER, Colorado, USA
Sales agent - H R 11/64 TR00018
Logbook remarks - NEW TYPE CYLINDER

I have not found this Kristi, hopefully it will be found soon!

Chris

sparky28
Member # 35

Chris thanks, I am sure you will let me know if you find something.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Upload Your Picture

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | KristiSnowCat.com

© 2009 Chris Roth, All Rights Reserved,Terms of Use
Contact me, Chris Roth at: caroth@rothfam.com