Kristi SnowCat forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Kristi SnowCat forum » General » General Discussion of Kristi snow cats » overheating engine

Author Topic: overheating engine
kirby
Member # 36

Icon 11 posted      Profile for kirby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had our KT-3 out to our cabin last weekend for the maiden voyage. Ran pretty good but the engine seemed to get very hot. Any ideas?
Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caroth
Administrator
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caroth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mark,

Did it get hot when pulling a hill or all the time? Many Kristi owners report having to stop after climbing a big/long hill. I see you don't have an oil temp gauge, you might consider adding one to monitor oil temps.

You might try fattening the fuel mixture up a bit and run it a little rich, this should keep the temps down. What elevation is your carb jetted for and what elevation were you at?

Chris

Posts: 109 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kirby
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kirby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Chris, The trip in is basically uphill for 5 miles, in places 6 to 7% grade. It got somewhat hot even on the trip down. I do have an oil temp gauge but is currently not working. I'm not sure on the carb jetting, cabin is at 8500 ft. This kristi has apparently been in CO it's entire life so I would think that it is set for altitude, but who knows. I was also getting what I would call some oil blowby off the tube next to the oil fill.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caroth
Administrator
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caroth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mark,

Yes, your Kristi was originally sold to the Colorado State Patrol, so it was used at high elevations. You will still need to jet the carb for the appropriate elevation. Talk to your mechanic and find an air-cooled VW guru for help in jetting the carb.

What is the condition of the rest of the tune? plugs? wires? oil? Old/dirty oil can really hurt the performance and durability of the air cooled VW engines.

Your engine was originally a 12volt VW engine with the serial number 118323. The original record remarks list the engine as 40HP Engine new heads on cylinders. Can you tell if it is the original engine?

Get the oil temp gauge working before your next trip out.

Posts: 109 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kirby
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kirby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Chris, Yes that is the serial #'s on the engine. My understanding of VW's is that on the bottom of the engine is an oil screen that replaces the oil filter. Does that screen need to be cleaned and if so how in the hell do you get to it?
caroth
Administrator
Member # 1

Hi Mark,

The strainer is in the oil pan at the bottom of the engine. The only way to get to it is by pulling the motor unless you have really small arms. The filter system has always been a problem with the air-cooled VWs.

I know of at least one Kristi that had an aftermarket oil filter on it. Many of the VW magazine vendors offer this filter setup as something to purchase. If you plan on going to something with a filter, an external cooler outside the dog house should also be considered.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Upload Your Picture

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | KristiSnowCat.com

© 2009 Chris Roth, All Rights Reserved,Terms of Use
Contact me, Chris Roth at: caroth@rothfam.com