Kristi SnowCat forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Kristi SnowCat forum » General » General Discussion of Kristi snow cats » A Kristi at work

Author Topic: A Kristi at work
sparky28
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparky28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just came across this site and thought I would join in. I worked for the Colorado State Patrol as a telecommunications technician 1960-1966 and had the privilege of using many different snow cats. My favorite was a Kristi that I got new in 1964. Below is my Kristi at a microwave station near Coaldale Colorado.

-

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caroth
Administrator
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caroth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sparky!

That is a really nice picture, I knew those mountains looked familiar, they must be the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. Thank you for sharing this picture!

The Colorado State Patrol purchased 10 Kristis over the years from 1961-1966. If you received that Kristi in 1964, then it could be serial number 00146 or 00147. Both were delivered 6/23/64 to the CSP. 00146 is still around, view the details of it here:
http://www.kristisnowcat.com/registry/KT3/00146/index.asp

Here are two CSP pictures from 1964.

-
This one was labeled Storm King 1964.

-
This one was also labeled Storm King, but also labeled Monarch Pass, Merle Keil. Perhaps you know Merle or can confirm these locations.

I went to College with a guy named Eric Ford, his dad was a Communications guy located in Buena Vista for many years and remembers the Kristis too.

If you have any other photos you are willing to share, you can email them to me at caroth@rothfam.com . I am actively working on the history but it is taking some time to complete. I have several hundred pictures from the 1950s to 1970s. I am putting together stories from previous owners and will have them in the History section.

Thanks again, hope to hear from you soon.

Posts: 109 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparky28
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparky28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The top photo could be any of several Colorado sites including Coaldale and Monarch in my service area.

The station in the bottom is definitely not Monarch Pass. The Monarch building was mostly underground due to the high winds. That may be Merle, he was stationed in Montrose. I was stationed at Buena Vista and worked with him on the state microwave system. I was the first CSP tech in Buena Vista, transferred there in 1963. The first snow cat I had there was a Tucker with two rear pontoon tracks and skis in the front---but that is another horror story.

I do have a few more photos, including one of Monarch and my Kristi. Will get them out and send them to you.

My Kristi in Buena Vista was known as CSP snow cat 7 if you happen to see a number 7 on a Kristi someplace.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caroth
Administrator
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caroth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I looked thru all of my CSP pictures and have several numbered cats. Numbers I find are #42, #47, #48, #54.

I will keep my eye open for a #7. I looked at #47 and it is not the same Kristi.

http://www.kristisnowcat.com/registry/KT3/00105/index.asp

The front hook is above the vent on your Kristi and below on #47.

Talk to you soon,

Chris

Posts: 109 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Upload Your Picture

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | KristiSnowCat.com

© 2009 Chris Roth, All Rights Reserved,Terms of Use
Contact me, Chris Roth at: caroth@rothfam.com