Kristi SnowCat forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Kristi SnowCat forum » General » General Discussion of Kristi snow cats » I will be unloading My KT3 and try and fire it up.

Author Topic: I will be unloading My KT3 and try and fire it up.
Snowcat Operations
Member # 23

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snowcat Operations     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My plans are to get the Kristi KT3 unloaded off the trailer and fired up. The engine hasnt been run in years and was supposed to be a new rebuild. I will get it unloaded and then change all the fluids. I will do a quick tune up and then try and fire it off. For fuel I will run a remote tank since the original tank needs to be pulled and professionaly cleaned and recoated. In the mean time a temp plastic tank will be used. I will pull all the plugs and squirt some WD-40 into the cylinders. I will then try and turn it over by hand to make sure nothing is frozen up. If all goes well I will install new plugs and after changing the oil, hook up the new battery and fire it off. Should be interesting to see how it goes. I will keep you posted along with pictures. If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to post.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caroth
Administrator
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caroth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mike,

A previous owner of your Kristi mentioned having fuel issues, so that is why you have the custom fuel tank. They tracked down the issue to a fuel line that was so rusted, it only had 1.0mm of opening. So check all of the fuel line.

When we started the KT2A last fall, we had the top diaphram of the fuel pump fail and spray fuel all over the engine compartment. So watch for fuel leaking from carb, fuel pump and fuel lines.

Who knows about how the engine was assembled, so I would suggest cranking the motor for a few minutes with no coil wire to ensure oil pressure and oil lubrication on that motor.

Since you will have the plugs out, I would attempt to turn over the motor without coil wire at that time to get the oil flowing and not put any cylinder pressure on the bearings.

I can't wait to see photos and video of it running. Send them to the email address below.

Posts: 109 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowcat Operations
Member # 23

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snowcat Operations     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Chris,
That is a great idea! My plan is to remove the tank and replace all the fuel lines. The tank I will send to the radiator shop in town and have them professionaly clean and then recoat the inside. I will then repaint it. This will make it better than new. At that time I will inspect and if needed replace the sending unit for the fuel gauge. I have a new fuel gauge which will be installed and the old one will be retired to spare parts. It currently works but since I have a new one I will use it anyway.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowcat Operations
Member # 23

Pulled the tank today and found it almost brand new! It is a pretty large tank as well. I flushed it out and inspected it. The only thing I found was about half gallon of bad fuel. I had it cleaned and it has been reinstalled. I also washed out the engine compartment and then changed all the fluids. The Kristi fired right up as soon as I hit the start button. I couldnt believe it. It is a very stout engine and runs like a top! The only issue so far is the carb float bowl is sticking. I have ordered a rebuild kit and should have that rebuilt by Thursday. I will then take it for a spin up in the mountains to check every system. I will be cleaning out the rest of the interior Sunday. I should have some pictures then. I also want to get some video footage to you to post on your site.
Snowcat Operations
Member # 23

Today was another busy day. I have cleaned the interior and the seats look brand new! I cant believe it. He must of had the reupholstered when he had the new engine installed. The Custom aluminum gas tank is HUGE! I put in 9 gallons and it is still under 1/4 tank. He must have been going on some LONG trips. I have also fixed the leak on the transaxle. Well at least I feel I fixed it. I need to run it a bit to see. But so far no more gear lube leaking out. I also did my Hacker patrol work today. I have gone in and removed every bit of shotty wiring I could find. Installed a new Optima battery and cleaned all the connectors. I believe these are pretty new. There are Brass and not lead. These are high quality. Just waiting to get the carb rebuild kit to finish it off. I have also begun to buff out the fiberglass. This unit is going to look great.
caroth
Administrator
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caroth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,

Awesome! I think you motived my Dad, I showed up at his house today and our KT-2A was up in the driveway. We cruised around in it for a while.

I can't wait to see pictures and video of your Kristi, send all you can. The your Kristi was painted at some point, so it will be interesting to see how your cleanup turns out.

Chris

Posts: 109 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowcat Operations
Member # 23

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Snowcat Operations
Member # 23

Well here is a start. I have some of the engine compartment as well. I have degreased and cleaned everything.
Snowcat Operations
Member # 23

-

-

-

Snowcat Operations
Member # 23

The bucket is full of all the non factory wire I have found. Also anything that didnt meet my standards was pulled out as well. I have some more de-wiring jobs to do but for now those were the worst. Also the roof rack is gone now. I got the order mixed up on down load.
Buck
Member # 21

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,

Has your Kristi been converted to 12v? Does the work look good?

Congrats on how nicely you cleanup is progressing.

Posts: 6 | From: Southern California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowcat Operations
Member # 23

HELLO BUCK!
Yes it was converted to 12 Volt and that work was done very well. I have removed about 90% of the "Hacker" work and will finish up as soon as my electrical kit comes back. See, this is what I get for being a nice guy. Oh well he really needed it. Anyway the clean up and running have gone very well. I had it running for about twenty minutes today. I was able to work all the hydraulics and run it forward and back. Everything works but the carb needs to be rebuilt. I will have the rebuild kit Wednesday and should have it all put back together Wedneday night and running. I may also need to buy a new fuel pump but wont know till I have the carb rebuilt. I am 99% sure that is my problem. The carb needs to be rebuilt anyway. I may just replace my fuel pump since its so important. I will buy two and store the other one in the Kristi as a back up along with the extra generator belt and hydraulic belt. I have those parts numbers if you need them. I will just post them anyway.

Snowcat Operations
Member # 23

I will get the belt parts numbers here in a few minutes. I am waiting for the carb rebuild kit and will check for that in about 1 hour.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Upload Your Picture

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | KristiSnowCat.com

© 2009 Chris Roth, All Rights Reserved,Terms of Use
Contact me, Chris Roth at: caroth@rothfam.com